Disclaimer: This article is not intended to offer any medical advice. If you do experience skin allergies, we recommend seeing your primary care doctor or an allergist who can treat you and offer personalized guidance on managing allergy symptoms.
When it comes to choosing the right laundry detergent, there are certain key aspects that all of us look for: the ability to remove stains, neutralize odors, and keep our fabrics safe while softening them rather than making them stiff. But, there is another aspect that many of us prioritize only after realizing it the hard way, which is how it affects our skin.
It’s not surprising that some laundry detergents can cause allergic reactions on our skin. We think that detergent is completely removed through rinsing in the washer, but if you can still smell the detergent after you unload the dryer, then it’s still embedded in the fibers of our clothing and linens. And, that means that the ingredients in the detergent are making contact with our skin as we go about the day.
Skin Allergies and Your Detergent
Not all of us have skin allergies, and those who do can obviously be allergic to different things. But, some allergens are more common than others, and laundry detergents tend to be notorious for containing some of the most common skin allergens.
Knowing What Types of Allergies You Actually Have
First of all, if you’ve never taken an allergy test, it may be time to do so. If your laundry detergent is causing an allergic reaction, then it’s very helpful to identify the specific allergens, because those allergens may creep up in other products long after you switch out your detergent. And, this way you can avoid wasting money on a laundry detergent that contains the same allergen you were struggling with before.
Common Allergens Found in Detergent Pods
Now, let’s go over the most common allergens that are found in laundry detergent pods. Worth pointing out that a person can have an allergic reaction to anything, and so it’s always possible that there is another ingredient other than the ones below causing the reaction. Also, a person can be allergic to more than one ingredient at a time.
Allergen #1: Fragrances
Certain synthetic fragrances are notoriously allergenic, and unfortunately, they’re in just about everything we use in our homes, including our laundry detergents. What makes this even tougher is that companies are not required to break down the exact fragrance ingredients they use in a product, making them harder to isolate. While we use some synthetic fragrance in our products, we are fully transparent about ALL the ingredients in our products. You can easily see them on the website and also on each product package, to make sure you aren't sensitive to certain ingredients. This is the opposite of what conventional products do. Also, we offer fragrance-free options that don't have any masking agents.
Allergen #2: Preservatives
Preservatives found in laundry detergents can also be responsible for those unpleasant skin symptoms. Parabens in particular are very commonly used in laundry detergent pods, as well as hair care products, skincare products, household cleaners and more.
How Do You Know You’re Having an Allergic Reaction from Your Detergent Pod
Skin allergies can be different for everyone, and can range in severity, as well as present different symptoms. But overall, if you notice that when you put on a piece of clothing that you recently washed, you may notice the following:
- Hives/bumps on the skin
- Increased skin sensitivity
- A feeling of warmth on the skin
Of course, if any of these symptoms are severe, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Natural Laundry Detergent Pods are the Way to Go
The good news is that today we have detergent pods that are specifically designed for people with sensitive skin, which use natural ingredients that are not known to be common allergens. While, like we said, a person can be allergic to any ingredient in a laundry detergent, more allergen-sensitive formulas remove the most common culprits to be as gentle and safe as possible.
- Grab Green Delicate Laundry Detergent Pods are made with gentle, natural and non-irritating ingredients, and have a allergen-sensitive formula. Your solution for washing all your dedicates, such as fine fabrics and linens, WITHOUT harmful chemicals. These are also Fragrance Free pods, perfect for those who are very sensitive to fragrance in general. Their gentle formula cleans deeply without fading, shrinking, or causing clothes to lose their shape.
- Grab Green 3 in 1 Laundry Detergent Pods are filled with non-toxic ingredients, making them the safest choice for your household as they are powerful enough indeed to get the job done.
- Stoneworks Laundry Detergent Pods come in 50 powerful powder pods that tackle laundry challenges, without harmful toxins or additives. By sourcing the absolute finest ingredients, while adjusting our plant & mineral-based formulas, simply ensures top-quality laundry detergent. Available in several earthy-scents, plus Rain - Fragrance Free, these pre-measured pods truly save you time and money.
What are you waiting for? Check out our detergent pods today to give your skin relief!