Ask most homeowners, and they’ll tell you that all-purpose cleaners are a godsend, offering all kinds of benefits that make maintaining their homes infinitely easier. But, are all-purpose cleaners really all-purpose, meaning that they really can clean anything in your home? And, is it ultimately better to have different cleaning products for different needs? Let’s find out.
What Makes an All-Purpose Cleaner “All-Purpose”?
An all-purpose cleaner is a common type of cleaning product that usually comes in a spray bottle, and it intended to clean a multitude of surfaces throughout your home. It contains cleansing and degreasing agents in order to effectively clean countertops, bathroom surfaces, dusty areas, etc.
Still, it’s important to remember that not all all-purpose cleaners are created equally. Any brand can slap “all-purpose” on their label, but their formulas may not cut it at the end of the day, and also be barely effective at tackling all kinds of types of uncleanliness ranging from greasy areas to dust. So, while in theory, all-purpose cleaners are incredibly useful and versatile, that’s not the case for all brands that are on the market.
Another thing is that sometimes, you need direct cleaners – as in, cleaning products made for specific types of surfaces. For instance, few all-purpose cleaners can effectively clean quartz countertops without leaving behind streaks, and so you need a cleaner made exactly for that purpose. Plus, it’s rare for an all-purpose cleaner to be useful for glass, let alone upholstery. So, depending on the materials in your home, you may benefit from having an all-purpose cleaner for most surfaces, and some direct cleaners for “specialty” materials.
All-Purpose Cleaners: Pros and Cons
There’s no doubt that an all-purpose cleaner is highly useful. It typically contains gentler ingredients than heavy-duty industrial cleaners, meaning that you can spray it liberally throughout the home without introducing too many concentrated chemicals into the air.
That being said, let’s weigh the pros and cons.
- Generally, is Less Caustic: Usually, all-purpose cleaners are less caustic, meaning that it’s not as much of a big deal if you breathe in some of their fumes. They don’t contain harsh agents like chlorine that can irritate your throat and even make you feel lightheaded.
- Saves Space: Of course, having one bottle of cleaner that can take care of lots of different daily cleaning needs is going to save space in those often-already-cluttered closets where you keep all of your cleaning supplies.
- Affordable: Most all-purpose cleaners are very affordable, and less expensive than direct cleaners per fluid ounce.
- Effective: The right all-purpose cleaner is highly effective at taking care of the majority of your weekly household cleaning needs.
- Less Likely to Damage Certain Materials: Because these formulas tend to be relatively gentle, they’re less likely to erode and otherwise damage certain materials around your home.
- May Not Be Enough for Certain Areas of Your Home: You will likely need some additional cleaners for your home, such as heavier disinfectants for the bathroom, more moisturizing cleaners for wood surfaces, glass cleaner, etc.
- May Not Be the Most Effective at Certain Types of Needs: If you, say, spill a lot of grease onto your kitchen counter, an all-purpose cleaner may not be powerful enough. You may need a more heavy-duty kitchen degreaser to leave the area perfectly clean.
Is an All-Purpose Cleaner the Way to Go in Your Home?
Overall, you really can’t go wrong with an all-purpose cleaner in your home that takes care of the majority of cleaning duties. Grab Green All Purpose Cleaner is truly a superior cleaning product, from floor to ceiling! It easily cuts through grease & grime on nearly any surface of your home with the power of plant-based ingredients. Its biodegradable formula works without harsh chemicals or noxious odors, making it perfect for cleaning countertops, tile, wood, appliances, floors, and so much more.
- ON THE OUTSIDE: Package design clearly states what the product does & how to use it; the ingredients are listed in full, along with each ingredient's purpose.
- ON THE INSIDE: Concentrated, biodegradable formula to tackle dust, dirt & grime on nearly every surface of your home. No need for caustic chemicals with noxious odors! This plant-based formula, containing superior ingredients, is your go-to product for the entire home.